DATE A GIRL WHO READS
by Rosemarie Urquico
(In response to Charles Warnke’s You Should Date an Illiterate Girl)
Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes. She has problems with closet space because she has too many books. Date a girl who has a list of books she wants to read, who has had a library card since she was twelve.
Find a girl who reads. You’ll know that she does because she will always have an unread book in her bag.She’s the one lovingly looking over the shelves in the bookstore, the one who quietly cries out when she finds the book she wants. You see the weird chick sniffing the pages of an old book in a second hand book shop? That’s the reader. They can never resist smelling the pages, especially when they are yellow.
She’s the girl reading while waiting in that coffee shop down the street. If you take a peek at her mug, the non-dairy creamer is floating on top because she’s kind of engrossed already. Lost in a world of the author’s making. Sit down. She might give you a glare, as most girls who read do not like to be interrupted. Ask her if she likes the book.
Buy her another cup of coffee.
Let her know what you really think of Murakami. See if she got through the first chapter of Fellowship. Understand that if she says she understood James Joyce’s Ulysses she’s just saying that to sound intelligent. Ask her if she loves Alice or she would like to be Alice.
It’s easy to date a girl who reads. Give her books for her birthday, for Christmas and for anniversaries. Give her the gift of words, in poetry, in song. Give her Neruda, Pound, Sexton, Cummings. Let her know that you understand that words are love. Understand that she knows the difference between books and reality but by god, she’s going to try to make her life a little like her favorite book. It will never be your fault if she does.
She has to give it a shot somehow.
Lie to her. If she understands syntax, she will understand your need to lie. Behind words are other things: motivation, value, nuance, dialogue. It will not be the end of the world.
Fail her. Because a girl who reads knows that failure always leads up to the climax. Because girls who understand that all things will come to end. That you can always write a sequel. That you can begin again and again and still be the hero. That life is meant to have a villain or two.
Why be frightened of everything that you are not? Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop. Except in the Twilight series.
If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are.
You will propose on a hot air balloon. Or during a rock concert. Or very casually next time she’s sick. Over Skype.
You will smile so hard you will wonder why your heart hasn’t burst and bled out all over your chest yet. You will write the story of your lives, have kids with strange names and even stranger tastes. She will introduce your children to the Cat in the Hat and Aslan, maybe in the same day. You will walk the winters of your old age together and she will recite Keats under her breath while you shake the snow off your boots.
Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.
Or better yet, date a girl who writes.
- actual-human-girl likes this
- cool-dot-edu likes this
- glitterboob reblogged this from of-athena
- tierrajanee-happiness reblogged this from kthulhu42
- tierrajanee-happiness likes this
- selkiesongs reblogged this from part-time-aussie
- isjaneka reblogged this from operatingroom
- deerlion likes this
- lionqueeen likes this
- ibises reblogged this from cinderellainrubbershoes
- mordantcuriosity likes this
- mkat812 likes this
- toebells likes this
- terminallyconfused likes this
- ospreysoul reblogged this from inkteller
- misspenguin182 reblogged this from inkteller
- misspenguin182 likes this
- rhi-al-rob-13 likes this
- inkteller reblogged this from fandomslut
- yourheartswitness reblogged this from faithadeline
- part-time-aussie reblogged this from iraitsil and added:
- adeleannisawesome reblogged this from crazyseasons
- adeleannisawesome likes this
- blindeyescouldblaze reblogged this from inkteller
- dumblidear likes this
- coachelllla-rad likes this
- dreaming-of-what-could-have-been likes this
- jennybabybear reblogged this from 600notes
- jennybabybear likes this
- ramblingsandwanderings reblogged this from samisalo
- sheeranandbooks likes this
- legolepsy likes this
- uchxiah likes this
- x-tofu likes this
- nunnify likes this
- ughdona reblogged this from goshnicole
- ughdona likes this
- upstartgeek likes this
- bunny-time reblogged this from meeghan
- bkins reblogged this from nouveauqueer
- cryphal reblogged this from hongrie
- musicjunkie30 reblogged this from cinderellainrubbershoes
- spacecadet791 likes this
- captainjimmytiberiuskirk reblogged this from sissensen
- sequinseafoameyes likes this
- shebapoe reblogged this from gentle-insomnia
- cherrytreehill reblogged this from oxygenic
- citizenofglobulusetignem reblogged this from sissensen
- futuredoctorsandcoffee likes this
- mrsgingles likes this